A letter in the Mining Journal of 1869 refers to the Penprompren Mines (probably
including Erglodd) where it was found that ancient miners had exploited lead and
copper ores using stone tools at numerous locations particularly at the intersections
of a network of shallow veins.
One of these opencuts is still visible today.
A small part of the site was excavated by the EMRG in June 2005 and this returned
an Early Bronze Age date.
The mine is also close to the Roman lead smelting site which was excavated by Cambria
Archaeology in 2005.